Thursday, October 29, 2009

ARE YOU MY NEIGHBOR?

This morning as I read the "Who is My Neighbor?" story of "The Good Samaritan" in Luke 10:30-37, two phrases in particular stood out. About not one, but two men, it is written that they "passed by on the other side", but about the third man on the scene it says, "He felt compassion and came to him and bandaged up his wounds, pouring oil and wine on them; and he put him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn and took care of him ... "etc. What about you? Me? Which character action would be ours? Would we pass by on the other side or would we have compassion and be willing to go out of our way to help bring comfort to a sufferer?
Even knowing we are not likely to come across an identical situation, as we consider the message from our Lord found in chapter 10 of Luke, can't each one of us conjure up images of possible circumstances where we might find opportunities to become involved? The choice of path is ours to follow. For example: when scurrying around to greet our friends between Bible classes and worship time on Sunday mornings, do we take time to notice the strangers in our midst or perhaps particularly that one woman who always sits all alone? Maybe she prefers that but have we asked if she would like to come sit by us so we know for sure? And, how about when you're ready to make a quick trip for that tasty special cup of coffee, do you think about offering to pick up and take the recently widowed woman or man to join you? It might take a little more of your time but to the lonely one it could help shorten a very long day.
I could go on with more examples but I am sure you can think of many instances without my help. Sometimes all it takes is opening the eyes of our hearts and becoming aware kind of as I did when I read those earlier mentioned verses that in my many years I have read many times, yet seemed to really see those phrases in a different way than ever before.
The question that started the story in the book of Luke was, "Who is my neighbor?" The question I have is: “Are we each other's neighbor?”
Marilyn Sue (Libby) Moore 10-29-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment