Saturday, November 8, 2008

LET ME HEAR THY VOICE

I often read the obituaries. It is not as many jokingly ask to see whether or not my name is there. I know my turn will come because one of my favorite Psalms (139) states in verse 16b, “And in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them”, but when I read the obituary column I am often astounded by the wide discrepancy of ages. In seeing the death of a 47-year-old woman this morning I wanted to read more carefully.
Her obituary states she came into this world in a mission home and was immediately adopted. Reading between the lines, she obviously knew the love of a mother because she chose to become a mother. The obituary states she became a “mom” to many and was looking forward to becoming a stepmother as well. In her mid-30s she had chosen to go to school to become a nurse and her mothering instinct carried over in her dedication to her patients. From the writing about her life it is obvious she came into this world one little girl alone but left it with a generation of family and friends that included pets as well as people.
What stood out to me amongst all the rest was the message that came close to the end of the obituary: it stated that she had “rededicated her life to Christ as her Lord and Savior” seven years ago. Is this what made her life stand out as being different when I looked at the paper this morning? At first it was her age but the more I read the more I liked this woman and felt a sense of loss even without having known her.
Her life has given me pause for thought. When she was born her days were numbered, of that I have no doubt. I like so much of what she chose to do with her life. I like her because of who she became in her life. Had I known her as a friend I have no doubt we would have been good friends and I would have loved her as a sister…or as a daughter, a niece, better co-workers in His Vineyard because of one another! I didn’t have that opportunity with her but, “Please God, help me to not miss the opportunities you put in my daily presence.”
“Let me hear Thy lovingkndness in the morning; for I trust in Thee; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to Thee I lift up my soul.” (Psalm 143:8 NASB)

© Marilyn Sue (Libby) Moore 11-8-08