Wednesday, February 25, 2009

NO DECAY

Have you ever seen a child that is so appealing he makes you smile just because God made him as he is?
There he was sitting in his mom’s shopping cart in the seat reserved for children when I first spotted them this morning. I immediately knew I was in for a treat. I said, “Do I see a familiar face?” and his mom stopped, smiled her sweet smile, as she greeted me. He held out his little foot, and I said, “What’s that?” while sliding his pant leg up and asking, “A cowboy boot? Have you been to the rodeo?”
He eagerly nodded so I said, “What’d you see there?
With sparkling eyes he looked at his mom for affirmation while he explained the bucking broncos to me.
His mom suggested he tell me where he was going to go today and he seemed unsure so she gave him a little hint by whispering, “Dentist.” I said, “Oh, do you take good care of your teeth and brush them good?” He nodded eager assent while allowing me to look carefully at his teeth to be sure he was telling me the truth. I said, “You do have pretty teeth and it is important to take good care of your teeth.”
I thought they might need to be on their way soon so I got ready to say my goodbyes by telling my young friend to be sure to hold mommy’s hand every time they crossed the streets and he nodded his head, all the time looking directly into my eyes while giving me that most special smile.
As I walked away I heard him speak to his mom and then moments later as our paths crossed again she confirmed what I thought I had heard him say: “She’s pretty.” I looked at my young friend and with a smile that I hope conveyed all the love in my heart, I told him, “I love Jesus!” Then I added, “Thank you.”
And I walked around for the rest of the day with a smile the dentist and anyone else would be proud of, but the one that little 4-year-old boy tucked in my heart is a smile that neither moth nor rust can decay!
In Matthew 6:19-21 (NASB) Jesus reminds us:

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal; for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”
©Marilyn Sue (Libby) Moore 2-25-09