Sunday, March 15, 2009

DWELLING ON A DREAM

This morning I woke with such a clear image in mind of a very happy barn swallow soaring straight into the sky with its wings tucked right up against its sides; every once in a while it would open it wings out to either side long enough to let a shower of rain wash them and its body clean. How the swallow was happy I do not know but in my mind the symbolism grew to mean preparing to leave this earth, cleaning off the dust as it were, for new life.
As my thoughts remained on what this dream might mean I wondered about those we prayed for just before sleep last night: our friend who has been given weeks to live, another friend who today is heading to M. D. Anderson miles away from her home for treatment for multiple myeloma that returned following a 3-year battle, and still another friend who is due for a 2nd chemotherapy infusion tomorrow if her blood count is up enough for her to take it.
My dreams are few and far between and the majority of the ones I do have are not easily remembered. This morning’s dream lingers and I am comforted to know that regardless of any intuitive meaning it might or might not have, Jesus cares about my dear friends whose ailments weight heavily on my mind. He cares about my anxious thoughts and me, too. In His teachings regarding anxieties Jesus even mentions the birds:
"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?” Matthew 6:26 (NASB)
Thank You, Lord, for being more dependable to dwell on than our dreams.
©Marilyn Sue Moore 3-15-09