Sunday, June 14, 2009

THE BIRTHDAY OF A GRANDDAUGHTER

Today is our granddaughter’s birthday. She turns nine years old. I wasn’t there at the moment of her birth. I hadn’t sewed any cute girly dresses or crocheted any frilly sweater and hat sets in anticipation of her birth yet this was a long-awaited moment because at the age of eleven years she chose this time to be born anew into the Family of God. (Romans 6:4-6; Galatians 3:27)
Because I am her grandmother, different than when she was physically developing in the womb, I was able over the intervening years to have something to do with the nourishing of her soul. After her physical birth it was five months before I saw her in person but there came a time when to my great delight I had many hands-on experiences with her. There was a day when the leg of a chair I was sitting in collapsed and both her mother and she came rushing to be sure I was alright. Finding me scrambling to get up from the floor and receiving assurances that I was truly unharmed, this three-year-old dynamo put her hands on her hips, looked me square in the eye, and said, “And don’t do that again!” How many times might she have heard that from me and the other adults in the four generations surrounding her at the time? And, just as well-intended, too! She and I had occasions when opportunities arose to learn many daily grandmother-granddaughter lessons together that to this day each of us remembers with a special fondness of heart and everything was always based on the foundation of “because God made it so” coming from His admonitions found in Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (Holman Christian Standard Bible):
“These words that I am giving you today are to be in your heart. Repeat them to your children. Talk about them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Bind them as a sign on your hand and let them be a symbol on your forehead. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”
For me as her grandmother when her physical birth took place, I wished I could have been there to cuddle her instantly; so too, at the time of her spiritual birth how I would have loved to be immediately able to wrap her in my arms to welcome her as my sister in our Lord and Savior! But, just as with her physical birth, I had to wait. Eventually the time came when I was able to hold her in a welcoming hug that completed the grandmother-granddaughter-sister circle on this earth.
So today I wish you a very Happy Spiritual Birthday Granddaughter and many more in His service!
© Marilyn Sue (Libby Moore 6-14-09