Saturday, November 14, 2009

OPPORTUNITIES ABOUND

As my friend shared her writing about her search for the perfect picture-taking opportunity of fallen autumn leaves, in my mind I walked through the falling leaves with her, and heard the crunch underfoot while looking around at all the trees while she waited for the perfect day for all the colors to be just right. In addition, I joined her in the disappointment of having to wait, knowing from past experience that one day of wind and rain could mean missing out all together on the perfect moments of ultimate color. Ah, but then, (sigh)...relief! I rejoiced with her when the perfect day and opportunity arrived when she fulfilled her heart’s desire with the photos she wanted!
As I thought on her story, I was reminded, too, that sometimes we don't get what we ask for, but that God has something else entirely planned. Sometimes, the winds and rains come swiftly and within a day the world of brilliant color is turned to drab shades of gray and brown. The crisp leaves absorb the moisture while drowning in the puddles and turn to mush in the now muddy walkways on the ground.
Still, there is often opportunity for beautiful, though simple, black and white photography in those stark branches reaching towards the sky on those gray days. It is not the gorgeous, colorful autumn scene we had pictured in our photographer minds, but sometimes God has a different scene planned beyond our close-up vision. All we have to do is be willing to open our eyes to see what else He has prepared. If we are willing to look beyond our limited frame, He will help us see what He wants us to find.
I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2 NKJV
© Marilyn Sue (Libby) Moore 11-14-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment