Wednesday, February 13, 2008

TRANSIENTS AMBASSADORS

Transients: that’s what we are on this earth. I was reminded of it once again a few days ago when dear friends announced they’d be moving away. Their telling brought back memories of the many moves my family and I have made and an observation our then eighteen-year-old daughter made, “Why is life so full of so many goodbyes?” The only answer I had for her at that time was, “We just don’t notice the hellos as much.”
Why don’t we notice the “hellos” as much? Is it because as transients we don’t expect the relationships to last? Is it because we fear investing our hearts in relationships, knowing we’ll have to say goodbye and we don’t want to hurt? Developing long-term friendships can be viewed as something to be avoided or, as worth the pain of knowing we will eventually have to say “Goodbye.” Everyone knows goodbyes are pain-filled moments but to think of all the happiness we’ll miss if we choose to avoid the hellos seems unthinkable and perhaps just a bit selfish.
Back to “Why is life so full of so many goodbyes?” After the announcement of one of our sooner-than-expected transfers, I said to the wife of one of our elder’s, “I think I really understand quite well what it means to be a transient on this earth so I don’t understand why God keeps moving me around!” She responded, “Maybe He just wants you in lots of different places.” With those few softly spoken words and such assurance from her heart, I felt very special and the message was implanted in my heart with each additional move! If at that time I had been really listening to what I already knew was in His Word, the following particular personally marked scripture would have stood out as it clearly stated exactly why God had sent me here and there as my sister-in-Christ described using different words. 2 Corinthians 5:20 (NASB) says, “Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.” Wow! Pay attention to the gems!
As I think back over the transience of my own life, it’s been quite a trip! The people I have met along the way have added so much richness to my soul and the real blessing is that the goodbyes of so many have not been permanent. Some have gone on to Glory. If we never see so many others on this earth again Heaven is where we will all meet one day. Yes, I miss the ones with whom I no longer have contact because of death or through some lost addresses but the ones I truly sorrow are the ones who have chosen to walk away from God, because those are the real goodbyes; yet I so look forward to meeting our loved ones in Heaven and being completely aware of each and every “Hello!”

© Marilyn Sue (Libby) Moore 2-13-08

No comments:

Post a Comment