Thursday, May 14, 2009

PONDERING OVER THE PUZZLE PIECES

Does it ever seem that your life is one great big puzzle with you lost somewhere in the middle of those thousands of mixed up pieces, not knowing where you fit or which way to turn? I often “picture” God as being The One who sees the completed puzzle picture with every tiny pixel perfectly in place.
Yes, the One Who created the entire world has unique plans for each individual and He made those plans even before He created the world! Ephesians 1:3-8a explains, “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace which He lavished on us.”
In recent years many people have chosen this verse found in Jeremiah 29:11 for their own personal promise, “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ says the Lord. ‘They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.’” Although God was speaking directly to the Jerusalem exiles there we know that scripture is to be used for our encouragement and hope. Romans 15:4 states: “Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. And the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises to be fulfilled.”
As I wander through the mazes presented by the puzzle pieces of my life I want reminders of these promises for my hope-filled future and while I love being able to open God’s Word to find them there, too often I become bogged down with the day-to-day details of life and I neglect to take time to look back at the clearer picture on the cover of the box…in other words, to take the time to study His Word. When will I ever learn? Those first verses quoted from the NASB version of the book of Ephesians remind me that the phrase “In Christ” or some form of it is used thirty-two times. It’s only IN HIM that I can take hold of His promises, the plans He made for me before He created the world! And it’s only in Him in study of His Word that I can find the hope, encouragement, and comfort of His promises, each perfect and pretty piece of the puzzle.
God does see all the puzzle pieces put together like the completed picture on the front of the puzzle box while all we sometimes see is the bits and pieces, partially framed and put together like what we have scattered over the tabletop while working the puzzle, but He does have a plan for each entire life…one for you and one for me…and He has not lost any of the puzzle pieces! He is putting them together one piece at a time to create a fantastic future and a fulfilled hope.

© Marilyn Sue (Libby) Moore 5-14-09